Thursday, October 6, 2011

notes

Notes regarding life lately:

-My baby boy is growing up and becoming more independent! Okay, he's not even officially crawling yet, but he got on all fours today and rocked a bit, and he turned the pages as I was reading to him tonight (with his left hand, mind you). Baby steps... Maybe listening to Nat King Cole on the record player and playing on the floor with Ransom will slow time down.


-We have acquired a record player and music sounds really good on it. Favorite music thus far: Eugene Bible College's Simple Faith (an album from the 70s, I think), Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, and some Bill Cosby stand up comedy excerpts.
-I am learning how to be a youth pastor's wife. It is scary & unknown territory for me, a job I didn't ask for or expect but find myself with. Balancing priorities is hard, but I know the order goes:
-God
-Andrew
-Ransom
-ministry/work
Often I'm off balance, but right now feels like a good time where I'm learning a lot & am hopefully remaining teachable to see how God wants to keep shaping me into a daughter that honors Him.
-Sort of related to the last note: did you know homemaking can be an idol?! What?!! Um, yeah, so, I'm beginning to get that. Homemaking=good thing. Wife=good; mom=good. But, if any of these things take more attention away from God, they're not so good things. Ouch. But, good to know, and to watch out for.
-October came very quickly. It is very important to me to savor this fall season (Ransom's first complete one) and to enjoy this precious season.
-We have identified the need to not just say we're on a budget, but to live it. We're doing a lot of math lately, and it can look scary sometimes, but having a plan is liberating even in its limits. I'm inspired.
-Two families (each family with five kids!) are inspiring me lately. The Driscolls are so encouraging in their love for Jesus and the ways they're living that out, and the Soules inspire me with their simplicity, creativity, and appreciation for the seasons (Amanda makes me want to learn the purl stitch).
-Tomorrow I'm looking forward to coffee with a sweet girl in her first year of college and to a date with my husband while the Poets babysit Ransom.


(This picture is from September 28th, tanniversary of our relationship's start. We're sitting at the table of the patisserie where AJ & I officially became a couple. )


3 comments:

  1. Rachel, you will do well in the role God has put you in! He will walk with you and show you things along the way! I have no doubts! Also, when you get here, I will teach you the purl stitch!! Very easy I promise! I love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of AJ and Ransom is so very cute! And God will teach you how to find the right balance for the season you are in, and because he called you to this season he will equip you to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah!!!! He's getting so big!!! OMG!!! I keep looking at the pic I took of him in Cabella's way back when I saw you and AJ there when it opened, and now I see this pic, and I'm like, WOAH!!! lol Kids grow up so fast, they're just growing growing growing!

    Yup, house work CAN be an idol, ANYTHING that takes our eyes off of the Lord is an idol. It could be work, children, a hobby, animals, food, whatever. lol We all struggle with things, no one is exempt, if they say they are, they LIE. lol You'll be fine. :) The fact you realize it is great, it means you are listening to the Lord, and you can never go wrong as long as you do that. :D Yay Rachel!!!! :D:D:D

    Anyway, I miss you so much! I know you are busy, but I hope sometime, I can come to Eugene and visit you! :)

    God Bless ~Amy

    PS:m If you get the time to write me another letter, trust me, it don't have to be as long as the one I wrote. I guess writing is just therapy for me, and before I realize it I've written a novel. ;P Anyway love you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete