Wednesday, September 28, 2011

four years ago today...

Four years ago, today Andrew & I became an official couple.
We had been getting to know each other the previous spring through cribbage games, a group date, and phone calls while we were in separate states that summer of 2007. When we returned to college for the school year, we wanted to make sure we followed God's plan and not just our own desires, so we took a day to pray and fast & on September 28, 2007 over peppermint tea and vegan peanut butter cups (because I'm dairy free and he honors that) we talked about what the Lord responded to us with.
Happily, we heard similarly that yes, it was time to date as long as we
1) moved slowly and
2) were open to correction.
We went to a movie and I wore mittens the whole time, not making my hands available to be held just yet. It was in the car ride on the way back to campus that Andrew brought up the topic of physical boundaries & that he was comfortable with us holding hands, but nothing beyond that. I'm sure I smiled right then and thanked Jesus that this guy I liked so much really wanted to honor God and me by making sure he was establishing healthy boundaries that would permit us to really work on a friendship and to not get too physically attached before we were ready for marriage.
And when we returned to campus, I took my mittens off and we held hands. We still like to hold hands.
This is what we looked like in those early months of dating:

And this is what we look like now:

How thankful I am for the man God gave me. Aside from the gracious gift of Jesus he is the most precious gift I've ever received.
Still going steady. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment