Friday, October 21, 2011

when Jesus used Coldplay to say "I love you"

Things haven't been specific for awhile. Do you know what I mean by this? I mean, I haven't asked Jesus for anything really specific in awhile and gotten a response back.


Today was different. This afternoon my I was driving my lovely family to the library and as we were on our way in the heart of downtown, listening to the radio,
I spoke aloud to AJ a desire I'd had for a little while that was bursting at the moment.
"You know, I'd really love to hear Coldplay right now. Viva la Vida..."
We were at a stoplight. AJ fiddled with the radio.
Not five seconds after I had spoken, a song from Coldplay's Viva la Vida album began playing. One of my favorites from the album.
We happened to catch the very beginning of the song as it was being played
on a random radio station he tried.
Love.
Jesus was showing me specific love right then.
He didn't have to, but I knew it & felt it and was appalled. Delighted. Blown away.
AJ laughed. I gaped and marveled for seven blocks.
We drove a longer way to the library to hear the entire song.
It's not that Coldplay is so amazing. It's simply that when AJ & I first married we played that album a lot. It brings back memories of being newlyweds and being broke and making things work and the first Christmas together, apart from our families.
Jesus was showing off for me, and He didn't have to, but I loved it.
How has Jesus showed you how He loves you lately?

4 comments:

  1. I stood there earlier today, and I'm not sure how he has. When things go downhill, I find myself standing in your second sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, Matt. It's like a numb feeling, and it seems it's really present when I don't take the risk to be specific in my prayers. Matt, I know you can be bold and risky in your prayers.

    Jesus, please show Matt you love him. Answer him specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I love your perspective on Jesus and the ways he loves us. We tend to over-spiritualize Him and forget that he is right here with us, Emmanuel!

    ReplyDelete