Tuesday, May 19, 2009

impressed with Charlotte

This morning I finished reading "The Life of Charlotte Bronte" about the author of "Jane Eyre" and "Villete" (the only of her works I've read, the former being her most well-known & also, I hear, the namesake for my Aunt Jane, lovely). It was written by Mrs. Elizabeth Gaskell, who knew Charlotte personally. I like that. I like it because this biography by someone who personally spent time with & corresponded with Charlotte. The time period is 1820s-1850s.
Going into this book, what I knew was that Charlotte was the oldest of three author sisters (the other two being Emily Bronte, author of "Wuthering Heights" and Anne Bronte, author of "Agnes Grey" & "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall"), and that she & her sisters died before they reached old age. I seemed to remember that Charlotte had been married too, but didn't know whether it was a happy marriage or not...it was, but... hold of, Rachel...
I could give a whole summary, I'm trying to resist doing that, since my days of writing essays are done for now. Suffice it to say, I so admire the exceptional redemption that is revealed in the life of Charlotte, also her sister Anne, but mostly Charlotte (since this is her biography), especially in light of the pain, the pain, the PAIN, experienced in their lives. In her later years, Charlotte wrote to a friend that she tried not to hope for happiness so she wouldn't be disappointed, she felt resignation & patience were virtues for her to cultivate.
Charlotte Bronte married a man named Arthur Nicholls, & there's not much mentioned about their marriage in the book. As far as is revealed, the marriage was very happy, & there was mutual affection on both sides. Charlotte called her husband the best & kindest of husbands. It makes me so glad that a woman who'd suffered such loss & didn't expect any happiness would be blessed with a beautiful & happy marriage during the last months of her life.
Then a heart-wrenching twist: Charlotte died, only having been married for nine months, and then it was her turn to go home.
It seems cruel, a happy marriage cut short, but I can't help but see the beautiful story in it...the true story that it is. It is gratifying to me that Charlotte knew love before she died, that she was still in the blossom of newlywed love when she surrendered her spirit. I didn't get this before, but this "Life of Charlotte Bronte" is a prime example of the name of this blog... "braving the Beauty." (Lowercase "b" for braving, capital "B" for Beauty.) The road to Beauty is really hard sometimes, & bravery is hard sometimes...
The Beauty is worth the cost, I think. Beauty, make me braver.

No comments:

Post a Comment