Thursday, September 5, 2013

these moccasins were made for mothering

Do you have a favorite pair of shoes? Mine are here immortalized:


I rescued them from a free bin. The fact that they were moccasins and made me feel a little like Tiger Lily won me over. Since then they've molded to fit my feet; once too tight, now they fit perfectly. 

They were worn on long walks with my son in the umbrella stroller as I walked the neighborhood around our apartment, walked to the post office, walked to the grocery store, walked to just kill time till AJ came home. 

I wore them to the coast this summer and brought my weeks old daughter with me for a high school girls beach day. Newborns and beaches don't necessarily go together and sometimes you need to apply sunscreen twice, yes, even though you don't think to because you're holding a baby. 

If you look closely at the left moccasin, there's a little smudge of Blue Zircon paint from this week when we painted Ransom's new/used/big boy/toddler bed.

I sense our family is in a season in which one day we'll say "Those were some golden years." We're in the happily chaotic time of parenting a toddler and a baby. A close friend lives with us, providing important community and an occasional babysitter for scoffed quick coffee dates when AJ and I need to hear only the other's voice. We're renting a house now and working on paying off debt. On account of that I'm becoming resourceful to a fault or maybe a hippie.

Looking at the wear on these moccasins makes me remember these times. When I see them I recall the story of how God provides, how surely His goodness and unfailing love is pursuing our family. We aren't fabulously wealthy, but we are. They are my thankful shoes. 


1 comment:

  1. AH, best kind of shoes and OH so comfortable. You and AJ are a blessing and the kiddo's so sweet, manly and cute. l/p Jan t.

    ReplyDelete