Thursday, October 29, 2009

hospitality

My prayers from about a week ago are beginning to be answered, specifically the desire for being able to show hospitality & for God to present opportunities for that. On Tuesday night we were graced with a visit from Israel, a friend who attended college with us, who since then has been on grand adventures in Germany, Costa Rica, & Nicaragua with Youth With A Mission (YWAM). He'd been living in South Dakota since these adventures & was stirred up to visit some friends in the Northwest, where we are. He's been hitchhiking part of the way & it was a surprise to hear from him, but our evening was free & we invited him into our home for dinner & to spend the night. What unfolded was a sweet time of encouragement, laughter, outbursts, prayer, tears, & faith-building stories. It was refreshing to hear from Israel, a guy who lives so on the edge as he does, and of his heart for Berlin, Germany, which is so big. (To read his blog, go to: http://translatelove.blogspot.com/). It was what I'd imagine a visit from the apostle Paul would be like, or that's what it makes me think of.
More...I'll be looking for more opportunities & hints & nudges & openings...

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of months ago. I read a post here http://kirrasue.blogspot.com/2009/07/hospitality.html on Hospitality and got totally wrecked.

    Then I told God that I really wanted to learn how to be hospitible...and with in hours he gave me the opportunity. Hahah. Isn't He so fun? What a good Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved having Israel here. I am so thankful that you have a heart for hospitality! You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at your profile and find it amusing that you list "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" as one of your favorite movies! We just watched it yesterday!! Hey, are there any good blogs that you love and recommend? I love reading yours, you always have been such a gifted writer! Now if only we could get your husband to write blog #2....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since Jon and I got married, I loved that being hospitable feeling, and trying to make our first home--which was a duplex--cozy and inviting for people to come over and share a meal or a movie or a card game. It makes so many great memories. So one of these nights we'll have you and AJ over!

    ReplyDelete