"No biggie," you say. "Rachel's a new mom, she's probably up at 1:00 a.m. because the baby is awake."
"Nope." I would say. "Handsome baby Ransom is asleep."
The reason I am still awake is because I signed up to bring something to church for Easter and I need to have it at the drop off place by tomorrow afternoon. You see, we're having Easter Sunday service at a high school, with a brunch in the school cafeteria beforehand so they're setting things up way in advance.
And what did I decide to make for the Easter brunch? At the time, cinnamon rolls sounded divine. Not just any cinnamon rolls, and certainly not the refrigerated type. I'm attempting, for the second time in my life, Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls. They take awhile, which is why I'm still awake with half the rolls in their pans rising before they go in the oven & the other half of the dough rolled out on the counter awaiting butter, sugar, cinnamon, and ground cardamom (the latter being my addition to the recipe).
To tide me over & keep up my energy, I also decided midnight is a perfect time to make a healthy swanky snack like Midnight Asparagus and Creamy Eggs from The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper. It was very yummy. The taste of egg, lemon, onion, asparagus seasoned with salt & pepper...ah!
It was a "Susie Homemaker" moment, as my mom would say. I feel like a foodie tonight. :)

For a little while I worked in silence, and then I put this on.
With both my husband and my son in their beds, me awake, I'm enjoying this alone time. Alone time. It's rare these days, a freedom I have surrendered since becoming a mama, and I'm not sorry, but I am enjoying this reprieve even if I'll be tired tomorrow.
On a normal evening, I make it a priority to go to bed the same time Andrew does; I've heard advice from married people wiser than me that doing this is good for a marriage. Never fear--when this is over, the cinnamon rolls iced and the kitchen counter wiped clean of every trace of flour, I'll curl up next to my dreaming husband and be thankful again for the man I married.
Tonight I needed to make cinnamon rolls from scratch. I want to present something I'm proud of for the Easter brunch. Perhaps it's an act of worship. I think of my mom and of my friend Rikki, both quilters who pray for the people who will receive the quilts they make. That has always been an appealing idea to me.
Praying over cinnamon rolls...am I losing my marbles?! :)
Maybe not, even if it is late.
Rachel, I love how you can make anything into a spiritual insight! Cinnamon Roll worship. Of course God loved it! He enjoyed that time with you and of course, we never leave His presence without a gift from Him. His gift to you: Alone time. I've determined that every once in a while, alone time must come late at night. I think it's when most of my mommy prayers have been lifted to the throne room.
ReplyDelete