This morning I had coffee with my friend Jamie, a very good friend. Since I've been married & out of the college culture, it's never failed, every time after being around Jamie I think, "She's a treasure." To borrow from Robin Jones Gunn (I read her books in high school) Jamie & I are peculiar treasures. It works so well. I'm the Christy, she's the Katie because I have brown hair & Jamie's hair is red (refer to the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn).
I love her life. Jamie lives downtown in a little studio apartment within walking distance of the library, the university campus, and so many coffee shops. She's...how do I explain four years of friendship? Challenging. Out of the box, adventurous, spontaneous, curious, interested in cultures, fashionable, sassy, Jamie face, who's also one of the people who has taught me the most about communication. Also about loving people. She works with people who have addictions & counsels them. I couldn't do that, but I appreciate her ability to & her heart to help people break their addictions. She's in a good position to see the brokeness & to help process, advise & intercede. Sometimes the brokeness overwhelmes me, but Jamie encourages me to see that it is so do-able to help people. I see Jesus in her.
Now that I don't see her every day, my glimpses of Jamie mean more, I think. Gotta take advantages of the friendships in front of your face right now. When friends move away I don't want to regret times I could have spent with them and didn't.
Working on those friendships, bit by bit.
This braving the Beauty business...makes me think. God's the most beautiful, He's the beauty I seek...and He brings us into relationships. Not only with Himself, but with other people. I want to be a good steward of the people He puts around me, the close ones, the neighbors, the one...like how Jesus would leave the crowd and go after the one person who was alone, struggling, lost. I'm seeking to be better at that.
Here we go, rocketing into a fun-filled adventure.
I think she is fun to hang out with. One of my favorite of your friends. I love you dear, and I am so happy to be married to you!!!
ReplyDeleteFirst off, Andrew's comment is just the cutest thing.
ReplyDeleteSecondly and the reason I'm commenting.
Being a good steward of the people around you. I've never thought of that. It resonates with my heart.
I've thought about it in another way, though.
If someone takes care of a person I love, It's almost as if they're taking care of me. It blesses me in the same way. I think God feels the same way. When we take care of other people, we're taking care of His kids, people He loves. It blesses Him more than we think, I think. :)
Keep writing, Rach. I love reading your thoughts :)