Friday, August 21, 2009

the domestic life post

Unashamedly, I am very domestic. This post will aid to reveal the depths of that. To start, here's my recipe (thanks Liz & Erin!) for chicken pot pie, perhaps the biggest culinary success in our household:

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

1 pre-made pie crust (for top & bottom)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 14 oz. can chicken broth
1/2 cup milk (I prefer soy, yes indeed)
2 cans of canned chicken
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables or 1 lb. bag (cooked)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook for two minutes, stirring frequently until tender. Stir in flour, salt, & pepper. Gradually stir in broth & milk. Cook & stir until bubbly & thickened. Stir in chicken & mixed vegetables. Remove from heat and spoon into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust. Seal the edges and flute. Slice holes in crust. Cook 35 to 4o minutes. The last 15 minutes put foil around the edges to prevent burning. Let stand five minutes before serving.

And there you have it. Someday, perhaps, I'll share my family's sourdough pancake recipe. It's top secret, but what the heck?

Besides making chicken pot pie, this week I've been reacquainting myself with the writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Right now I'm a few chapters into Little House on the Prairie. Ah, the domestic life...

1 comment:

  1. I re-read a few of those books this summer!! I forgot HOW MUCH I LOVE THOSE BOOKS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete