Monday, September 12, 2011

melon madness

It used to be that I abhorred every melon. How could people consider watermelon to be a refreshing thirst-quenching dessert in the hot days of summer? And those horrible black seeds you have to spit out...sick. Then there was cantaloupe. It seemed restaurants would serve this pale, flavorless melon to act as an unappetizing "fresh fruit" side to make their menus appear more healthy. I wasn't fooled.

Then, this summer rolled around. It probably started because my sister Moriah was teasing me about melon, always offering it to me ("Rachel! Watermelon! Your favorite! Here, you can have my last piece...") and so when I saw her in June, I nonchalantly put some melon onto my plate and proceeded to eat it in front of her face. And suddenly, I liked melon.

The CSA (Community Supported Agriculture=local farm you pay at the beginning of the season to supply you with weekly veggies & fruits from their harvest) we are doing this year had watermelon in August and I'm loving it and feeding it to my baby. (There aren't tons of seeds in this variety.)

As for cantaloupe, when you find a ripe one there's nothing like the smell and taste. Ah...

So here's a recipe to try out if you've got a free cantaloupe. The original recipe can be found in the cookbook "How to Eat Supper" by Lynn Rosetto Kaspar and Susie Swift. A good cookbook, one I used for this asparagus recipe that delighted my taste buds.


Iced Cantaloupe Soup with Jalapeno and Basil
(I know, cantaloupe soup?! It got the vote of approval from my husband, and it was delightfully refreshing in the 90 degree weather we had lately. The heat of the jalapeno and the coolness of the soup was a playful flavoring that I liked. This soup would be great as a starter or a side for a three course meal instead of as a main dish which is how I used it. Note: wear kitchen gloves when dicing jalapeno. No one warned me and my left hand was tingling even the next morning.)

one 2 1/2 lb intensely sweet smelling cantaloupe
2 cup ice cubes
generous pinch of salt
4 or 5 grinds black pepper
2 Tablespoon sugar
juice of 2 large limes (about 1/2 cup)
grated zest of 1/2 large lime

Garnish:
1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded & cut into fine dice
10-12 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/8 dice (optional)

1. Cut melon into quarters. Scoop out seeds and trim away rind. Slice it into chunks and put in a food processor. Add ice, salt, pepper, sugar and lime juice and puree. Stir in the grated zest.

2. Place the jalapenos, basil, and onion in separate small serving bowls. Pour puree into individual soup bowls or into a pitcher for chilling.

3. To serve, pour soup into bowls and pass the condiments. The basil & jalapeno are the essential finishes for the soup, while the onion is an attractive option.

(Don't you love the way LRK & SS word recipes? "The onion is an attractive option...")

1 comment:

  1. I just saw a chilled cantalope soup recipe somwhere else too. ;P Not sure I'm in the mood for a cantalope soup, but I DO like ripe cantalope, not unripe tasteless ones. I can understand why you hated melon, I would too if I only had bad melons. :) Plus our taste buds change every 6-7yrs I think. Used to DESPISE sweet potatoes, now I love them. :) Really, they used to make me vomit... no joke. :D

    Anyway, I love your blog, my sister has a cooking blog, though unfortunately its riddled with dairy, anyway, her name is Rachel too! If you feel like checking it out go here: http://thesemi-vegetarian.blogspot.com/

    Hope you are well! :D

    God Bless ~Amy

    ReplyDelete