We a portion of Independence Day hanging out with Tony (pictured above, far right), a soon-to-bee senior in the youth group who Andrew is mentoring. We went to a town called Harrisburg, where there was a 4th of July parade, and then walked along the riverfront, stopping in a park to eat hot dogs in the shade, talking about Rob Bell, Mark Driscoll, sound theology, friends, and whatever else. Then we bought an elephant ear at some booths that were set up for the holiday, and we ate it!Tony is an incredible guy. We've met with him after youth group for several months, to talk about what's going on in his life, our lives, and to offer any advice he asks us for. Sometimes some of his friends come with, sometimes it's just Andrew & Tony. When we drop him off at home, we pray for each other. It's been such a rewarding venture & we have seen God do amazing things through Tony & his friends. His high school is booming with hunger for God. Once, after the last performance of The Odd Couple, which Tony was in (he played Oscar), every cast member at the cast party at Tony's house asked Jesus into their heart! These were students who were turned off to God, but somehow through Tony & another girl from youth group, Katie, God made miraculous things happen.
After hearing that story, I was thinking, "I wonder if Tony would mentor me?" :)
We're learning a lot from this guy & he is such a blessing to our lives.

Above is a picture from burnPATTERN's concert at youth camp. I love this face Andrew makes.
And this...just a mushy picture of us that I like.
Oh my gosh you and AJ are so cute!!! Thank you for your really nice comment I am glad you are enjoying my blog. I am enjoying writing more and more. Chris got hurt this week so he is on his way home. It's a bummer he was really close but we know it will be okay and work out I'm sure God has something in mind. My 4th was really good I spent it with family. As for baseball you and AJ and Chris and I and Eric and shelby should all go to a game!!! That would be sooo fun. I have the schedule at home so I will look at it and call you. have a good weekend.
ReplyDelete