Monday, June 28, 2010

celebrating his 24th year

There's been a lot going on in our lives in the last couple of months, and I've been remiss in blogging about it all, but hopefully I can catch up with the highlights in the next week.
The first most important thing to say, in May, my beloved AJ turned 24! (But he's still younger than me.)

Diane, our pastor's wife, presented AJ with a cupcake on the morning of his birthday before worship practice, and we all sang happy birthday! I really appreciated that (also Jerry bringing him coffee) because waking up early every Sunday morning to lead worship can get to you, and when you're doing it on your birthday (although he didn't lead that morning), it's nice to be celebrated a little. I...really...appreciated it.

For AJ's birthday cake I attempted baked alaska for the first time and it was a success! I had made a pear ginger cake (which was flatter, easier for the birthday candles to go into) and the baked alaska. AJ's friends demolished the baked alaska in no time. Thanks to Aunt Jane for the baking cookbook!

For the occasion of AJ's birthday, one of his best friends from Arkansas, Justin, conspired with me to surprise AJ with a visit, just in time for birthday celebrations. This plan was put in motion in December, and we managed to keep it a secret for that long. It was worth it! I love watching AJ respond to surprises, good news, etc., and he was so surprised.

Here are the two friends inside of a beach shelter displaying pieces of driftwood. Men & wood...my sisters & mom & I have this running joke about conversation topics that men have (from where we're from). Firewood & weather are the topics of choice for them.

Our friend Tia graced us with her company a few times while Justin was in town, although she refused to eat our seafood. This picture is my attempt to capture the four of us, AJ, Tia, Justin and me, as we're playing Rook and enjoying root beer floats.
It was so good to have Justin in town for AJ's birthday week & we missed him when he had gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment