Tuesday, April 20, 2010

on the side

Know how people are known for something but then they do something completely different on the side? Like my friend John. He works at a credit union (credit unions are still dear to my heart, yes I mean you SCFCU, R.I.P.), is engaged to my very talented & beautiful friend Kristin, and on the side he makes cakes. Cakes like this:

And there's my friend Jenni. She is an indispensable friend and counselor to teenagers, an avid crafter, and she crochets ninja action figures of Burn Pattern on the side. What a girl! Fruit of Jenni's labor/Cory & Josh action figures below:
Can't forget my husband. He's a college student in his last term at school, a worship leader at our church, and on the side, he's in (at least one) progressive rock band. Did I get that right babe? Progressive rock with a hardcore edge? Anyway, he screams in some of the songs & it's really impressive and gravelly. The band is called Without a Poet. Here's a photo of them at their first show last week (thanks Kaylene for taking awesome pictures for me!) :
What do I do on the side? Things like make bread, devour cookbooks as if they were food themselves, make crafts, the usual. One other thing (Finally! The crux of this post is coming!) is something called Campus America. I'm the stand-in state coordinator for Oregon, fumbling through the process of encouraging students in Oregon to pray & be part of an unbroken year of prayer in the U.S. during 2010. We've got three colleges/universities on board already, which I am very thankful for. I recently started another blog devoted to Campus Oregon & updates or background on what's happening, so we'll see where that goes. If you're interested in taking a peek, click here, and leave a comment to encourage me with it! :) It's in very early stages but I hope to keep adding to it, so keep checking it out. If you know Oregonian students who might be interested in it, tell them about it, or if you know students from out of state who'd have a heart for prayer in their universities, click on the Campus America pic below.
There you go. It's fun to think what you do on the side could play an instrumental part in your future. I'm expecting as much for my husband's music & hoping I can be a blessing to Campus Oregon, fumbling as I am.

1 comment:

  1. hi! :)

    your blog is cute and i love that you can make bread. can you teach me?
    is it hard? i'd really want to learn how to make it at least once in my life.

    ReplyDelete