Also now, I am loving re-reading books that I loved before. Among them are Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig & Dave Roberts, the story about how the 24-7 Prayer movement began in England & spread like crazy wildfire. It's arguably my favorite book & it changed my life four years ago when I read it as a soon-to-be-college sophomore. Wild, wild, stuff. We serve a wild, unpredictable God. And He's good, too.

Pause in the narrative: another Andrew thing I'm loving right now is the way he looks at me & then when I look at him, he quickly looks up & around as if he's scanning the room, then looks at me with a surprised look, hiding the fact that he was looking at me. The dear boy. :)

Back to books. The second book I'm re-reading is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which is an impressive title, don't you think? It's by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, her niece. It takes place post WWII, in England & thereabouts & it's about a lady authoress who finds something amazing to write about. Not only that, but the nearly entire book is compromised of letters. What more do you need in fiction, really? There are even allusions to Jane Austen & Oscar Wilde & the Bronte sisters! My reader's heart is won. Did I mention it's funny?
Something else I'm loving is Pixar's movie UP. Andrew took me to see it in the big theatre (what I call the non-dollar-fifty-theatre where we usually catch a show) on Tuesday. Oh, Pixar keeps amazing me with their stories & humor & I am delighted with this latest offering. It had me scared, laughing, crying, smiling... I highly recommend it. Five stars, no kidding. You know how I feel about the number five.


I also loved the downpour or rain we stepped out in after we left the theatre. We were dodging puddles to get to the car. My new shoes were drenched in the first step & I loved it. I'd been hoping & praying for rain. Loving, too, the thunderstorms we've been having. Makes me miss the Midwest.
Further things I love lately: fresh produce. Corn on the cob. Fresh grapes. This feast was the result of a run to Albertsons, where grapes were .99 a pound & I couldn't resist. There is something so satisfying in the crunch of a good grape. I still don't understand why in Japan they peel their grapes. The crunch of the skin of a good grape is too good to pass up. Good grapes!!!
We also ate corn on the cob tonight. I showed Andrew what shucking corn was & he did it with me. Made me remember being home & shucking corn on the porch step next to the driveway, on the somewhat rare occasions we had corn. Dear memory, I'm not sure why. During dinner I explained to Andrew that in my family, growing up, if we bought corn, the plans for the evening were changed...if there was already a plan for dinner, it got postponed because we were having fresh corn!!! (This story may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I like it, and that's how I feel about sweet corn. Let it be a new family tradition! Eat it when it's good!)
Loving Mark Driscoll's sermons online. He cracks me up, but also presents the Bible in a real, practical way encouraging creativity & obedience. Highly recommend www.marshillchurch.org.
All for now. Loving a lot right now. :)
I love corn in the summer too, especially if it's grilled. I also love roasted cherry tomatoes in the summer. Now I'm loving decorating ideas from great new blog's I've discovered. Running in the hummidity. Staying up until wee hours of the morning organizing, cleaning, reading, writing and even ironing:)
ReplyDeleteDon't you feel Pollyanna-ish, thinking of all the things we love? I'm okay with it. I'm with you, Laura, I love those late nights when I get what I call "cleaning spasms". Those or bursts of creativity. :)
ReplyDelete