Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Beauty and the First Lady

Politics aside, I have a heart for the First Lady, Michelle Obama. It's not just because of the pretty dresses she wears, the importance she places on military families, good nutrition, and exercise. It pleases my romantic sensibilities whenever I see a picture of her with her husband and they're holding hands; I want their marriage to succeed. Something tugs at my heart when I think of her and her family of four. I see pictures of them dressed up and going to church and my heart hopes, but at the same time sinks. I want faith in Jesus to be real for them, not a veneer to impress potential voters, which is what I fear might be happening. I want a Jesus revelation to move the hearts and actions of the President and his Lady, not political game strategies. But I don't know the hearts of Barak and Michelle. What I see isn't the whole picture. So, I'm reminded to pray for them, something I don't do often enough.
Jesus, please stir things up in the Obama family. Place strategic relationships in their lives. Protect them, and let them know it is you who watches over them, who gives them breath and life. When they get dressed up and go to church, make it a physical representation of their desire to bring their best to you, to offer themselves to you as living sacrifices, doing the good works you prepared in advance for them to do. I pray for Damascus road experiences for both Barak and Michelle, and that you will open their eyes to see your plans at work. Let them align themselves with your plans, Jesus, not their own, not a Linkpolitical party. Bring people in their lives who are true friends to encourage them and to challenge them, who will stick with them when things are messy. Let them be dazzled by you, Jesus, not by big names, big money, big titles. Make their desire be to honor you.
God, may the glimpses of beauty I see in the First Lady become more frequent, coming from a deepening love for Jesus and a desire to let it be unto her according to Your will.
Your ways are higher than ours. Amen!

(Picture found at: http://mrs-o.com/newdata/2009/2/25/isnt-she-lovely.html )

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I feel the same way when I see her. And I pray the same things for her and the Prez. Great post, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post brings up a great point!

    A few weeks back, I was watching some DVD's of a show called "The American Heritage Series" which basically, talks about the formation of our country and how it was founded on godly principles, its pretty awesome, you'de love it!

    Anyway, the guy in it, I forget his name, was talking about how in the Bible (specifically in Tomothy 2) Paul tells us to pray and give thanks for our leaders (kings, governors, etc) FIRST OF ALL. And in other places in the Bible, it speaks of submitting to authority, government, etc, because it is under God, etc, etc.

    Anyway, all of that reminded me how, praying for our leaders is very important, regardless of whether or not they follow God's commandments, and they usually don't... lol

    I come in to agreement with your prayers Rachel! :D And I add to that and pray that: The wisdom that they may have would become virtue, because virtue is knowing and wisdom is doing, and they may have an idea of Jesus, but it has not yet turned in to action. So I pray God's purpose be fulfilled and most of all, they would come to Him in His time. :) Amen.

    God Bless ~Amy

    ReplyDelete